Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Update

I finally joined a gym! Anytime Fitness - a 24 hour/7 days a week do-da that is more like a small apartment than a fitness center. It's convenient to my house and has everything I will need, plus I got a month to month membership so I can switch if my fitness goals or gear ever exceed what they offer.

Monday was my first day (I know a little later than my goals) and all I did was run on the treadmill. 3 miles in about 43 minutes, a snail's pace. I alternated between jogging at 5 mph and walking at 4 mph for the entire time. A while ago, I discovered that running on a treadmill is infinately more enjoyable when you throw a towel over the monitor and run to music. In the past, 8 songs was three miles (approx 29 minutes). I used to go over a little or under a little, in which case I would just complete the final distance at a max pace. Monday I ran for two songs and walked for one song ran for two songs, etc. Eventually I will get my time back down to the thirty minute mark.

My plan for the next few weeks is to just continue to use the treadmill, get a good stretch, and go home. I don't think there is much value in hitting the weights when my body is so un-accustomed to continous, strenuous movement. Add that to the fact that I haven't had much physical activity because of my foot (plantar fascitis, achilles tendonitis, tarpal syndrome - TAKE CARE OF YOUR FEET or end up like me) and I've get a solid recipe for out of shape soup. So anyway, we will call this my run in period. Sort of like a clinical trial but I won't be taking any drugs.

I'm also working on cleaning up my diet. Step 1: No fast food.

No comments: